This year has been quite a ride as I restarted my writing life, and your encouragement has been the fuel for many of the goals I’ve accomplished in 2012.
In the midst of a full-time day job, evening freelance work, serving at my church, and figuring out how to survive various emotional, physical, and financial dramas, I was able to write
- first drafts for 14 short or short-short stories;
- rough drafts for two novels (via NaNoWriMo);
- 68 stories and writing articles for Afternoon Tea;
- 153 articles for Darla Writes, my blog for writers (click here for a list of the Top 20);
- 570 helpful tweets for writers; and
- 2-3 updates per week to my Darla Writes Facebook Page.
There were many moments when I’d wonder about my writing activity and ability. Doubt would seep in as I’d think about the amazing novel I’d just read or the follower numbers on other sites or my lack of energy after a long day.
But you, dear reader, kept lifting me up with each visit I’d see in my stats, and with every comment that made me think, Yes, someone does enjoy my stories. I will keep writing for that reader.
With the confidence I gained from this, I stepped out, took chances, and
- shared my stories with strangers;
- entered two writing contests; and
- dared to answer the question “Are you a writer?” with “Yes, I am.”
The new year will be another good one for this writer. I know that because I have a God-given gift that will ensure its goodness.