Happy Thanksgiving to my readers here in the United States!
Whether you’re the holiday’s host or the guest this year, I hope you’ll get a chuckle from some of my reasons for loving Thanksgiving.
- The preparation for guests ensures that your home will get that thorough cleaning it’s needed for months.
- The grocery bill for the meal increases astronomically your store rewards balance.
- Turkeys are finally affordable.
- Nobody cares if the gravy comes from a can, as long as you have lots and lots and lots of it.
- Your stomach stretches miraculously to contain three days worth of food in one meal that you consume in about 15 minutes.
- Football suddenly becomes entertaining because you’re watching it with diehard fans of the game.
- You can throw restraint out the window because you’re playing team board games with your siblings who are also blood-thirsty competitors.
- The host for the feast usually says, “Oh, don’t bother. I’ll take care of the dishes.”
- The next day, you wake up to a quiet and peaceful morning because your neighbors, unlike you, are all downtown taking advantage of Black Friday sales.
- You get to have leftover apple pie for breakfast every day for a week.
The best part of it all is that you don’t have to just feel thankful. “I’m thankful for …” (fill in the blank) is nice, but who is getting the thanks? You can have an object to whom you are thankful — a wonderful, living, loving God. You can give thanks every day of the year for the life He has given you to live and all that goes along with that gift.
What are your reasons (serious or humorous) for loving Thanksgiving?